Eldrbarry's Carcassonne Links
A current favorite in our household is the new game, Carcassonne. It is played by laying tiles with portions of cities, cloisters, roads, fields, rivers, etc on them, playing little wooden "meeples" on these to score points, gradually building a landscape of walled cities in Medieval France. Developed by Klaus-Jürgen Wrede and published by Hans im Glück in Germany in 2000; it is marketed in the USA by Rio Grande Games.
Here are some other Carcassonne Resources on the Internet:
The Basic Game has been supplimented by several expansions:
Inns and Cathedrals (aka The Expansion) ; Builders and Traders, River II, Count of Carcassonne, King and Scout, and The Princess and the Dragon. And Rio Grande Games has recently brought out The Tower and a "Big Box Set" with the basic game, the River and the four major expansions has also become available.. These expansions add additional tiles, pieces and/or ways to score points. Some other tile sets are also available in Germany, adding a variety of lakes, mountains, etc. (See below)
Other "Carcassonne" Games which are not played with the Basic Game include The City, The Castle, The Discovery (a stand alone version), Ark of the Covenant, and a stone age variation: Hunters and Gatherers.
My family set has become "customized". It includes the basic set with both rivers, the three expansions: Inns, Builders, Dragon, as well as the King & Scout and Count of Carcassonne mini expansions. To this I have added the 24 Lakes and Fishermen tiles by Carsten Engels, and six homemade Fish tokens, which we use like the trade goods tokens in the Builder's set, these are given to those completing lakes with tiles that have the fish pictured on them. Starting with the King and Scout mini-expansion, I have added the Landlord and Friar tiles (which used the rules of Knecht und Bettelmönch (Laborer and Mendicant) by Christoph Berger) and created our own variant King/ Robber Baron/ Landlord/ Friar. I have added a few other tiles to our mix as well, gluing them to the H&G tiles in the King and Scout set. They include, for the river, an estuary piece (which must maintain an "untiled" outlet to the sea); and an all grass piece. We don't usually play with all the expansions. I have a page of the additional rules (pdf) and a page of Scoring tables (pdf) to reflect these additional expansions as well, as a compendium of our house rules with the various expansions and variants worked in. I created a Player's Reference Card to assist in us play and scoring as well.
Some other Expansion Tiles are available:
- Wikipedia Article on Carcassonne
- Carcassonne – Rules, Questions, FAQs, Clarification. September 2005 document
- A Carcassonne Tile Search Utility
- Carcassonne FAQ Matt Harper's blogspot is quite helpful. Especially in dealing with questions on rules.
- Carcassonne Rule compendium Word File
- Discussion of Strategy
- The Math behind Carcassonne Strategy Article
- BoardGameGeek's Carcassonne - basic Page has links to helpful Rules' Summaries, varients, etc! Similar pages are on line for the expansions: Inns and Cathedrals (aka The Expansion) ; Builders and Traders, River II, Count of Carcassonne, King and Scout, and The Princess and the Dragon and The Tower. See also BGG's links for the same on the various expansions.
- A summary of the rules
- Carcassonne Central A fan site with descriptions of all the games and variants, help for new users, downloads, Carc news, but most useful of all, forums dedicated to Carcassonne-related gaming.
- RPGnet Search for "carcassonne" for a number of reviews
- Reviews on Dan Becker's Game Site on Carcassonne and The Expansion (i.e. Inns and Cathedrals)
- Rainy Day Review
- Pirates and Plunder an unofficial clone of Klaus Jürgen Wrede's Carcassone. this one is a standalone game which cannot be combined with Carcassonne.
- York A free online tile placement game inspired by Carcassonne.
- Toulouse A web based version of Carcassonne, on a site that also has Xplorers, a web version of Settlers of Catan.
- Carcassonne Pagina A Netherlands page (Germ/Dutch)
- WorldofBelushi (Germ)
- Carcassonne Cafe (Germ)
- Carcassonne - Das Spiel (Germ)
- Online Carcassonne Game Also Catan
- Meeplepeople.com A source for purchasing Meeples.
- Free Translation This will come in handy with German Language sites
- WayBack Machine Useful for finding "lost" sites
European Designer Board Games and the Revival of Board Gaming and
some other useful Table Games Links have been moved to eldrbarry's Table Games Pages.
Other games pages include eldrbarry's Chess Links, a page on Mancala Games, some Sudoku links, and a page on Storytelling Games.