Here is a list of resources for Games and Ideas - I have not reviewed many of them. Please let me know of other online or published resources you have found helpful.
Published Resources: [highlighted titles are linked to Amazon.com books]
- Summaries of Co-operative Non-competitive Games
- Games Kids Play An index to lots and lots of games. Unofficial "rules" for all sorts of "backyard" games we played as kids, and his Camping Games (with over 250 games).
- StreetPLay has lots of street games like hopscotch, jacks, jumping rope, marbles, stickball, etc.
- Parachute Play
- Spinningbee's page on Frisbee Play
- Improv Games List Theater training games - many are adaptable to groups.
- Outdoor Education and Research: Group Activities, Games, Exercises & Initiatives
- Games Various group games
- Christian Itin's Activity Page - a vast and growing collection of activities that welcomes additions!
- Jim Speir's Scouting Page
This site includes Jim's pages of Beaver Games (for younger School age boys - click on Colony) Games for Cub Scouts and Games for Scouts, plus a new page of Wide Games for large areas as well as two pages of Parachute Games.
- Steve Tobin's The Virtual Campsite - Boy Scouting resources - lots of campfire, story and games resources including Steve Tobin's Games Pages index - lots of games, includes the book Games for Boys by Sir Baden-Powell - rules for Stratego - a live wide area version of the board game! - also Flashlight Night Games and Letting off Steam games! Be sure to check these pages out!
- Boy Scout's (USA) Confidence and Team Building Games
- Boy Scouts (Edinburgh) Games Compendium
- Community Funiatry: The Oaqui* Games
- Technology for Teachers: Instructional Games including Instructional Games: "Why Play Games"- an article.
- Camp Rena A site focused on the training of recreation providers - especially those who work with youth, with recommendations (and sale) of recreation leadership / games resources - books, videos, etc. Helpful on staff training!
- Game Kids - an organization focused on Camps and games for children and teens.
- The New Games Foundation arose out of the counter-culture and was founded in the late 60's with a philosophy of fair and cooperative play where winning didn't matter and play was simple and needing little equipment. The New Games Movement created a lot of fun games. Though the foundation closed in 1990 it's ideals and games have been carried on by Dale Lefevre. See the New Games books below.
Non competitive games - books and videos are available on this site.
- Regent's Center (Univ. of Northern Iowa) "About Group Games" an article.
- The New Games Book, ed. Flugelman and Tembeck, and More New Games, ed. by Flugelman and Tembeck
- New Games for the Whole Family (1988) and Best New Games by Dale N. LeFevre (2001)
- The Cooperative Sports and Games Book: Challenge Without Competition by Terry Orlick.
- The Second Cooperative Sports and Games Book : Over 200 Brand-New Noncompetitive Games for Kids and Adults Both by Terry Orlick
- Storytelling Games: Creative Activities for Language, Communication, and Composition Across the Curriculum by David Lipman
- Heart Games for the Mind A storytelling game using decks of pictured cards developed by an elementary school teacher. The game is wholly devoted to creativity and imagination and self expression, both collaborative and individually (it is not about winning). It is useful for development of communication, ideas, thinking, interaction, appreciation, connection, history, and more, for everyday people, families, students.
- Childrens Games
- Children's Traditional Games: Games from 137 Countries and Cultures by Judy Sierra
- The Outrageous Outdoor Game Book, by Bob Gregson (Fearon Teaching Aids)
- The Joyful Child : A Sourcebook of Activities and Ideas for Releasing Children's Natural Joy by Peggy Jenkins
- Nurturing Spirituality in Children Peggy Jenkins - Fifty hands-on lessons building self esteem; she has also written Art for the Fun of It: a Guide for Teaching Young Children.
- Great Games (To Play With Groups), by Frank W. Harris. (Fearon Teaching Aids).
- Play It! over 400 Great Games for Groups by Wayne Rice, Mike Yaconelli.
- Play It Again! : More Great Games for Groups by Wayne Rice, Mike Yaconelli (Editor)
- Creative Crowd Breakers, Mixers, and Games (Creative Resources for Youth Ministry Series)
by Wayne Rice
- Here are an number of books by Karl Rohnke: Silver Bullets: Project Adventure (1984);
Cowstails and Cobras II : A Guide to Games, Initiatives, Ropes Courses, and Adventure Curriculum
The Bottomless Bag Again (January 1994);
Funn Stuff (Vol. 1) (August 1995);
Quicksilver : Adventure Games, Initiative Problems, Trust Activities and a Guide to Effective Leadership
- Non Competitive Games for People of All Ages by Susan Butler
- Mudpie Olympics and 99 Other Nonedible Games by Debra Ball-Kilbourne (Editor)
- More! Junior High Game Nights : More Wild & Crazy Outreach Events for Junior High Ministry by Dan McCollam, Keith Betts
- Let's Play! : Group Games for Preschoolers by Jody Brolsma (Editor)
- Games and Great Ideas : A Guide for Elementary School Physical Educators and Classroom Teachers by Rhonda L. Clements (Editor)
- How to Play with Your Children (and when not to), Brian and Shirley Sutton-Smith. Hawthorn Books.
- Playfair: Everybody’s Guide to Non-Competitive Play, Joel Goodman & Matt Weinstein. Impact Publishing.
- Everybody Wins: 393 Non-Competitive Games for Young Children, Jeffrey Sobel.
- Holiday Games and Activities, Barbara Wnek. Human Kinetics.
- Free Play (The Power of Improvisation in Life & the Arts), Stephen Nachmanovitch. - a Zen approach to games and art.
Thanks for visiting! Your comments and games suggestions are most welcome!
Please E-mail me at: email@example.com
[On Leading Games - Basic Equipment]
[Get Acquaint][Line & Circle][Chain & Relay] [Tag & Free Form] [Indoor &Misc.] [Make your Own]