Listening to Sermons
Practical tips for hearers who want to be doers of the word:
James 1:22-25, Psalm 1:1-3, Psa 63:2-6
The more "senses" through which the Word enters - the longer it will reside in our hearts:
- If possible preview the passage to be preached and ask yourself questions.
- Take Notes - and keep them. (Use a notebook rather than the back of the bulletin or pieces of scrap paper). Avoid doodling.
- Pay Attention - to the preacher, not the clock, or your plans for the week.
- Listen with an open Bible! Bring a different version than the pew Bible, or the Preacher's usual version.
- Relate the message to your experiences - and be honest with God and self as you do.
- Support and encourage the messenger as one who cares for your soul!
- Pray that the Spirit will speak to you through the sermon and your heart will hear.
- Visualize the message - create mental "hooks" to hang its truths upon. Or relate its truths to a hymn or spiritual song.
- Review the Scripture text(s) and write down your response afterwards in private while the message is fresh in your heart.
- Pass the Word on before it slips away: share it with someone in the next few days.
- (Ears) Hear,
- (Eyes) Read along,
- (Fingers) Write notes,
- (Tongue) Share,
(Mind and heart) Meditate
Follow These Links to other pages on Eldrbarry's Storytelling Page:
Thanks for visiting! Please E-mail me at: email@example.com Your comments and suggestions are most welcome!
You are viewing: http://www.seanet.com/~eldrbarry/mous/rflt/sermtips.htm --- © 2004 Barry McWilliams